Saturday, October 31, 2009

Method 8

How do you feel about social networking sites in general? Do you have privacy concerns and/or concerns about keeping your personal life separate from your professional life in the online environment? Is your library already using some of these social networking tools and if not, do you see potential uses for any of these tools in your library?

I am just beginning to use the social networking sites on a personal level. I enjoy being able to stay in touch with family by Facebook who live a long distance from me. It feels like real time conversation. I'm trying to get my mind around trying to use it in a library setting.

I feel there is and always has been tensions in keeping your personal and professional life separate. We all want to be able to "control" all aspects of our relationships to some extent. It is easier for our young people to share than it is for us older folks so I believe as time passes, these issues will resolve themselves.

Our library is not at present using any of these tools. Having a very limited staff in a small library does not allow us time to use them currently. Most of our patrons do use these sites on our computers though so I am pleased to become aware of them through these steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment